Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Philosophy Proves True

Also entitled...
The Trail of Things

I've got this philosophy.
Be Nice To Strangers

That's it. Let me clarify to make sure you read that correctly.

Be Nice To Strangers 
does not mean
Don't Be An Asshole To Strangers 

You shouldn't be an asshole to anyone and you won't get any awards for simply NOT being rude.
Not being/doing something that you shouldn't be/do just means you aren't a dick.
Being nice to people is a step in a good direction.

Now that we've got that cleared up. *dusts hands off*

Why I Do This

Say you're nice to a cashier at Wal-Mart (those poor people need love).
You come back in a few days to make an exchange. Shit. You forgot your receipt.
No problem! You complimented that girl on her hair color and made small talk. She remembers you. She does your exchange without the receipt.

This is a small example. Sometimes it doesn't work out like that. Sometimes people are rude. Sometimes you brighten someone's day and they're never in a position to do something nice for you. Sometimes you're nice and they don't care. Regardless, it makes you feel better and it doesn't hurt so suck it up and say "Hey man, nice pants" every once in a while.

Bonus fact: I jam out to my music set to shuffle while I write. As I'm writing this post I'm also merrily singing along to I Hate Everyone by Go Set Go


Okay so on to The Trail of Things and Times When This Pays Off



I'll admit it. I cheated. I broke a rule. My living room was a mess of boxes and crates full of Stuff but we had NO WHERE to put anything.We needed storage. Badly. So I cruise Craigslist and find an entertainment center for $50. Talk them down to $40. So we go to pick it up (with two friends following in a Jeep to haul it).
Hello there strangers selling furniture. Let's chat.
We all got along just fine and had a grand few minutes of Get To Know You.
Apparently they clean out houses and sell what's inside at a big "estate sale" (yard sale prices) inside a warehouse downtown.
Entertainment center has turned into a lead!
We go to the estate sale.
Make out like bandits.
They'd been selling some small pieces of peg board, but I didn't get any.
Regretted that.
Next weekend I text them to see if they still have it.
"Sure do! Come on up to the house and get some! $1.50 apiece, how may do you want?"
They live on some PERFECT land out in the country. I'm talking house, barn turned house for their parents, two workshops that I can see, and what used to be a PETTING ZOO. They had to get rid of the animals but SO much space for little critters or gardens or whatnot. Get to talking to the guy, mention learning to weld but not having many scraps to practice on.
"Oh scraps? We have a miniature junk yard in the back. Just go around that house and grab what you want."
Cha ching! Three sevens across the board, snake eyes, Yahtzee, pass Go and collect $200 and an extra $100 for being fabulous.
Only found a few little practice pieces... but I did find THIS.

















I spell Love T-O-O-L-B-O-X

I LOVE THIS THING. I have grand plans for it. You shall see it when it's done.

Anyway, to make my point, by simply extending as small a nicety as making conversation you can foster a connection that comes in handy later down the road.

Next Post

Pictures of the Entertainment Center
Another example of this working out and the Cool Things I got
Pictures of Peg Board

No comments:

Post a Comment